In 1948 Congressman Tom Steed was elected to the 81st Congress from the 4th Oklahoma District. While a member of the House Education Committee, he was one of the leaders in developing and enacting legislation based on the operational needs of school districts such as Midwest City, whose enrollment increased due to a federally--owned installation. Because of Mr. Tom Steed's leadership and dedication throughout the nation, Midwest City proudly named this facility after him in May of 1955.
In September of 1957, Steed Elementary opened its doors to 323 students. Mr. William F. Austin was Steed's first principal. The faculty consisted of ten teachers. Steed began with only eight classrooms and has since grown to 37 classrooms with additional construction through the years. Steed now has over 400 students attending classes in grades pre-kindergarten through fifth grade. Since Steed's first ten teachers, its staff has grown to 42 certified and non-certified members.
During the past 35 years, many positive changes have improved the instruction and learning which have taken place at Steed Elementary. Due to the insight and dedication of Mr. Steed and his fellow members of the Congressional Education Committee, School districts from around the nation have been able to grow and excel because of the federal funding provided in 1949.