The First Years
The History of Country Estates
In early 1941, the U. S. War Department stated its intention to build a centrally located maintenance and supply depot as part of the effort to strengthen the nation's military establishments. With this announcement, Midwest Air Base was established. By 1942, the base name was changed to Tinker Air Force Base in honor of Major General Clarence L. Tinker of Pawhuska, Oklahoma, a one-eighth Osage Indian who had lost his life in the early stages of World War II.
With the growth of Tinker Air Force Base, Midwest City was incorporated in 1942 to handle the growing number of families to the area. Shortly after the town was founded, the Midwest City-Del City Public School System was established. Oscar V. Rose, the first school superintendent of the fledging school system, had inherited two typically country school buildings, five teachers, and 125 students and was ready to face the growth of not only the base and city, but the growth of the school district.
All children in Midwest City in the 4th, 5th, and 6th grades attended Post School (Eastside), located on 29th and Air Depot. All children in Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades attended school on base. At the beginning of 1950, this area began to develop and all children attended Westside, Sooner, and Post schools.
In the summer of 1951, the construction of Country Estates began and the school at Tinker Air Force Base was closed. The children and their teachers were situated so that they both could be moved together without disrupting the school work.
During the first part of November, 1951, the first group of children along with their teachers were moved into barracks, with the older students being moved first. This move lasted until January 1, 1952, with 300 children being moved. After the Christmas holiday, the children were moved into a building with 13 rooms. When the younger students were moved, the older students helped to make the move easier. The barracks stayed due to the increasing enrollment in Mid-Del schools. By the end of that school year, the enrollment included 400 students.
During the first full year at Country Estates, the enrollment increased to 900 students. With classrooms and barracks full, students were moved during the school year to the newly constructed Traub and Glenwood Elementary schools. Even with the transfer of these children, Country Estates' enrollment was still high, with over 500 students being served daily in the school cafeteria.
The enrollment at the end of 1955 was 1042, with 700 students being served daily in the school cafeteria. During this year, the school was enlarged by an addition to the cafetorium and a new wing at the south end of the school, giving the school 28 permanent classrooms and four temporary classrooms. The staff consisted of 35 teachers, two secretaries, four custodians, and four cafeteria staff.
By this time, Country Estates was the 3rd largest school in the district with enrollment around 1200. Classrooms and barracks were full with 30-35 students per classroom. More barracks were added to accommodate 8 rooms of students. The staff consisted of 41 teachers, two secretaries, three custodians, and six cafeteria staff. Bud service was extended to approximately 250 students.
With student transfers, the enrollment continued to stay around 1000 until more new schools were constructed.
Country Estates enrollment was around 500-600 students with some of the barracks being moved. Each classroom held around 30 students. In 1976-77, the school was renovated.
Barracks were moved and the school's enrollment was around 450-500, with each classroom having a smaller number of students, and around 350 being served in the cafeteria. The school opened up the Computer Lab with the students knowing more about computers than the teachers. A new school sign and marquee was added.
Enrollment remained around 500, with some classrooms empty in the early 1990's. During the 1992 school year, major construction came to Country Estates. The construction of a new office, teacher's lounge, music room, media (video) center, Science Lab, and library lasted all year. In the late 1990's, two multi-handicap classrooms were built and the school welcomed four year olds to school. With the addition of these new students, barracks were brought in to handle the increased enrollment. New flooring in the cafeteria and hallways along with new walls and fresh paint, and remodeled restrooms added sparkle to the old building to end the 1990's.
Country Estates' present enrollment is around 450 with faculty and staff totaling approximately 40. Improvements continued into 2000 with the Pre-K through Second Grade celebrating newly remodeled restrooms. This was a welcome solution to the many trips a day that students spent going to the upper grade restrooms.
The last year for 6th grade at Country Estates was 2006-07. The following year Mid-Del turned all of it's elementary schools into Pre-K through 5th grade, middle school became 6th grade through 8th, and high school became 9th - 12th. Country Estates continued to remodel classrooms with all of the Pre-K and kindergarten rooms taking on a new look. Country Estates received a new front and side entrance facelift. This added a new look to the school, and welcomed students, parents, teachers, and visitors to the school each day.
Country Estates Mud Hens
Country Estates Comets
The mascot for Country Estates Elementary has always been the Comets, but for some years former students proudly stated that they were the Mud Hens. The Mud Hens were really the YMCA Summer League Baseball Team that consisted of Country Estates players. Lee Lauder, the coach, was at the meeting when the coaches decided to choose mascot names for the teams. Coach Lauder decided to choose the Mud Hens as a joke. Well, it stayed with the team until the early 1970's when the players' parents decided to have the team's name changed to the Comets, the school mascot.